2 May 2010

A lone wolf and a crazy hamster.

Have you ever been told something you thought at the time to be insignificant, only for it to stick in your mind for years afterwards? Well, today, I've been thinking about something someone once said to me. It was an old school teacher. He described himself as a 'loner' and said that he prefers to be by himself. At the time, I kind of thought that was a brave thing to admit. I also secretly wondered why he'd chosen a career path that put him in a room with 30 people all day. However, I now find myself questioning whether that's the type of person I am, too. I don't mean that in a sad way, either.
It fascinates me how different people are. Some people always surround themselves with others, and hate being alone. Yet I seek solace in being alone, and I actually think it's necessary once in a while.

Spending the day alone today, for the first time in a long time, I'm actually finding it quite liberating. However, to admit that you enjoy your own company, it seems, would be a bit of a sad occasion. I feel slightly embarrassed to admit that I enjoy my own company. However, that doesn't mean I place any less value on my friends, or am any less grateful for the company of others. But does it not just make me sounds like some sort of social recluse? (Which I kind of am, but that's beside the point.)
But there's just something about having some time to yourself that seems to mentally set me up for the next few weeks, where I will be surrounded by people once again, until the next time I get some time to myself. It almost gives me time to decompress.
Does this indicate then, that I have more difficulty than others in social situations? Is it as simple as there being two kinds of people in the world - those that thrive off the company of others, and those who don't?
If you really think about it - how do you react when you know you're going to be alone for a while? I don't think I can think of anyone else I know who likes to be alone.
But being alone almost gives me some sort of down-time, where I'm not distracted, so I can remember to appreciate things that seem to get overlooked when people are busy.
So today, it's me, my iTunes, and an empty house. And I shouldn't be afriad to admit that I'm kind of okay with that. Oh and by the way - I realise this is kind of an open invitation to burglars, but be warned, I am armed with a crazy hamster.

3 comments:

  1. Really well written blog!
    I don't think you have to be one or the other; someone who likes time alone, or likes to be surrounded by others. I find it necessary to have time by myself, but this time can only be in certain situations; an afternoon shopping,a day in the garden. But too much time alone gives an overwhelming sense of loneliness. I like the best of both worlds!
    You make me think as always =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. to admit being alone isn't sad or weird, it means you are comfortable in your own skin, it is actually quite healthy to have some alone time, it makes us appreciate the people we have in our lives more and enjoy the times spent together. it allows us to collect our thoughts and rationalize the things which are important to us, so crack on from one 'loner to another' signing out...... anyone out there??????
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you are describing is what Carl Jung defined as introversion. Take it from another Introvert I wouldn't have it any other way.

    There's a great song by Joan Armatrading about this called Me myself I.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBRNfWGxBp8

    Our friends at Wikipedia cover it off well. have a look at:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraversion_and_introversion

    ReplyDelete