22 May 2010

Keyboard confessional


I've been wondering recently about which is a better quality to possess - modesty, or the ability to impress people with an honesty of what you're about. I've always thought the former, but I'm afraid that I'm starting to question that. 
I'd happily sit and listen to someone talk about a quality or a hobby that they perceive to be impressive, whilst I sit on the knowledge that in fact, they're exaggerating, and I wouldn't be. In other words, I'd rather hold back on information that I know could come across as conceited if I were to mention it.
Sometimes, I find myself biting my tongue in certain conversations that I feel passionate about. Or if I get going, I make an effort to stop talking before getting carried away.
A habit I know I posses, is one to talk myself down, make a joke of myself, and not admit to any self confidence I may have. I almost feel arrogant saying that.
However, in a conversation recently, someone asked me 'would you rather a person had a false modesty, or made it clear that they're aware of their attractiveness?' and the answer, well... I don't have one. I mean, if you do think you're particularly gifted at something, or you know you're good looking- what is it that makes it so difficult to admit? Do I think that I come across better to people by denying any sort of self acknowledgements? Surely not.
Are you certain of your own qualities? More importantly, do you let it be known to others? Maybe it has something to do with some kind of deep seated confident issues. Those that big themselves up - well are they in fact the ones that knowingly have the least to back it up?
If I've been sat in my room working, reading, or if I've been for a run, why do I feel slightly embarrassed sometimes at admitting it? It seems that if I've been doing anything that could be classed as productive or geeky - I should refrain from admitting it. Whereas some people would think the opposite.
It doesn't seem to make sense. I'm striving to be the best I can be in every aspect of my life. Yet I feel uncomfortable admitting that. Okay, I know I just did, but in person, I mean. I think it just has something to do with our culture. We interpret talking about ourselves in a good light as being big-headed.
If anyone has the urge to praise my blog, I might not agree with what you say, but don't let that stop you...

No comments:

Post a Comment