28 Jun 2011

83 to one

I read the very unsettling news this morning that there are, on average, 83 graduates applying for one job. I may not be old and wise on the matter, but as a graduate, I've had a few interviews, applied for hundreds of jobs (I'm putting myself in a great light here, I know, a brave move as this blog is on my CV). I know that it's difficult to come straight out of the university bubble and be dropped into the real world for the first time. I know how it feels to have no money and how tempting it is to give up and apply for a job at a call centre. I know it's difficult having little life experience but still maintaining to employers that you're fully capable. So from one graduate to another, here's some little tips for any interviews you may endure on your beautiful journey into the adult world, based on my own experience, unfortunately.

Do...

...stay calm. Even if you've just been informed that your prospective MP employer beat up a journalist, and then you're asked what you think on the matter.

...research. In one interview, when asked to "name five government departments", I replied: "Department of Health, Department of Education, erm...", it was a good moment.

...wear heels. That is, if you can walk in them and you don't have to go up three flights of stairs whilst trying to maintain polite conversation.

Don't...

...go for an interview in a building that has armed guards. Not good for the nerves.

...be too honest. In one interview I was asked "so is this your first interview?" and for reasons that I will never know, I answered "oh god no, I've applied for loads of jobs, anything to get out of Doncaster".

...sound like the most boring person on the planet: "Tell us a bit about yourself", "I just finished university.. erm, I like to write...so...".

If you're a journalism graduate, don't answer a phonecall when you're napping and agree to an interview for a sales job. "Have you any experience in sales?" "No...but my dad does?"

Most importantly: always remember than everything happens for a reason, otherwise you'll go insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment